Paul and Mel's UK

Sunday, June 26, 2005

Sweet Home, Chicago

I am coming to the end of my first weekend in Milwaukee and am getting used to the grandeousness of things. I am in for a shock when I return to London.

A group of us went into downtown Milwaukee for a meal and I have to say that it was really quite good Italian. I say this with some relief as I was struggling to find any food that hit the spot. Some things do not exceed with excess. Then again, I am staying in the outer ‘burbs so I need to keep my expectations in check.

Actually, this night downtown there was some live music being played on the forecourt of the new museum (which is a good looking building). Good, daggy covers band. It was a very warm night and there was a breeze coming in off the (huge) Lake Michigan. All in all, a great experience.

But come the weekend and I set my sites on bigger things. Namely, Chicago. After negotiating what seems to me the normal trials and tribulations of internal public transport (queues, waiting, lack of information ... no wonder everybody drives ...) the $20USD (one way) 1:45 minute train ride lands me (and my drinking buddy on this tour, TS) on the outskirts of Chicago.

Chicago is one big city. I would estimate it was at least 15 times as big as Melbourne. The photo in this blog entry was taken from the observation level of the John Hancock Center (sic) which, according to the promotional audio pumped into the elevator in the lift on the way down, is the world's most recognised building. Never heard of the John Hancock Center? Nor have I. Big Ben which is actually the name of the bell, not the building), Empire State, Sydney Opera House ... John Hancock Center. Hmmm ...

Again I have been amazed by the capacity of the American people to be open and warm to visitors. On the way we ask a couple of guys for directions, to which they end 'Have a great stay'. This is a common ending to conversations pertaining to locality directions, of which I have had many, and I think it is sincere. TS and I ask another lady on route the same kind of question. She tells us where we should go (in the nice way, not the bad way!) and then power walks up ahead. She then walks back - but is stopped by a set of lights she had crossed well before we had gotten to them - waves like a mad woman to get our attention, and then points in a direction in order to make sure we get where we are to be getting. Gives you that warm feeling about a place.

But, as has been my experience, I found some people to me a lot less ... well ... accommodating. Starting with, ironically, the hotel in which we stayed.

Now, I won't give the name of this hotel for obvious reasons. But it was a well known name and supposedly a good one. I phone booked and paid in advance for a single bedroom with two double beds. When my order was taken, I thought it was interesting that the operator said 'Yes, I can REQUEST that'. Request? Anyway, things became clearer at the hotel when the front desk told me 'Oh no, that REQUEST is subject to availability and ... well ... we have none available'. Now, it may not be clear, but TS is a bloke and I will do what I can to avoid sharing a bed with another guy (SP and MB being two times where its a case of any port I
in a storm). So I pretty much go into the Seinfeld 'Now anyone can take a reservation. But the key to the reservation is HOLDING the reservation' routine. and, lo, a room with two double beds on a non smoking level becomes available. And a nice room too. But already I am a little ... well ... irked.

Older people go out in the states. A lot. And by older I mean closer to 50 than 40, if only just. Now, I know this sounds ageist, but I have always thought that as I age I will confine my social activities to dinners and wine bars. Indeed, I imagine it is already happening. Not here and particularly not in Chicago. We found a great piano bar and settled in for a couple of bevies but if a man is only as old as the woman he sees then it was time for me to leave. And I did.

We had a fairly good stake for a meal and by this time it would have after 10:30. We really struggled to find a good place to have a drink after that. We found a King Street like strip (oh, the pain) and were going to go into a place when someone was in the process of getting thrown out. Forcefully. This kind of thing happens in all countries, I understand. But we were warned that the Chicago Police were not tolerant of drunks and, sure enough, this man got arrested. Handcuffs and all. For getting thrown out of a pub. Now ... I thought this was just a little extreme and TS though it was more so. Still, I was keen for a look inside. 'ID please'. This was unusual. I mean, I look older than 21 (or do I!!). But I have seen signs saying that anyone looking younger than 30 will get asked for ID. But I don't look younger than 30 (or do I!). I show my (Australian) licence. But this was not enough. Turns out that I need to run the risk of carrying my passport around so that I can show it to this individual to get into this bar from which I have seen somebody VERY forcefully evicted and, indeed, arrested. It was getting past 12 and I had a feeling that it was time to make toward home.

The punchline is that after walking miles trying to find a place that looked good for a drink and to listen to some music and to do some people watching, we returned to the hotel lobby to see it transformed (since earlier that day) into about the best club we had seen all night. Dress code dictated no shorts - which I kind of understand, but we had been walking all day in 39 degree heat - so it was time to take our bat and ball and go home.

The next day was site seeing and shopping day. Both were OK, though I bought less than I thought I would. Some prices are cheap, some are not cheap enough. Navy Pier was interesting, with a kind of carnival atmosphere. But our time was short and by 4pm it was time to head back to the train station for the waiting, queues, lack of information and 1:45 journey back to Milwaukee.

The goal of the journey was fulfilled, though. I came to the States hoping to see a big, big city. And I did.

1 Comments:

  • Sounds a little like "Trains, Planes and Automobiles" with John Candy. At least you didn't find your hand between two soft pillows.
    Glad you are having a great time.
    Love to you and Mel.

    Nancy and Children xxxooo

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home