Paul and Mel's UK

Saturday, June 04, 2005

Of Pots and Pints

The worst thing about not having regular internet access is that so many stories come and go, with out me writing them down. By the time I get onto the internet the story has become so vague as to not merit telling. So today, I will only tell the lessons learnt - I hope - from the night before.

I am not a big drinker. I neither profess to be nor aim to be. I enjoy a tipple and probably only really get drunk four times a year. At most. I do this be keeping an eye on the amount that I drink and I drink beer so that I get physically full before I get too out of hand. I know that I can drive after two pots of beer. I get merry after four beers. I get vocal at six beers. I get a little roudy at eight beers. After that it just becomes a matter of degrees of loudness until I start losing full motor control at twelve beers. I can't remember the last time I had more than twleve pots of beer in a night.

But as we know, beer is not served in pots (275 mL) in England. No ... it is served in pints (600 mL). But I have not done the conversion in my head yet. So I am still using my counting system.

So last night I went for after work drinks. I had two pints without them touching the sides (which is just over four pots). I imagine that I had about 6-7 pints and a shot of something or other. That is somewhere between 12 and 15 pots and a shot. I got home at about 2am this morning Mel was almost certain I was going to have a heave in the bed. For the record, I did not. I do not know how loud I would have gotten last night (though I am sure I will be told throughout Monday ...), but I was certainly feeling sick and sorry this morning.

The lesson, then, is that a man not only has to know his limitations (as per Dirty Harry), but he also needs to know the rate of exchange. In all things.

1 Comments:

  • Now you know where I got my training ....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home