Paul and Mel's UK

Monday, July 04, 2005

Epilogue - US Trip

Just a very quick note on some of my thoughts about my recent trip to the land of the long white tip.

The people I met in the street, bars and around the office were great. They have a reputation for being very friendly and this is what I experienced.

Customer service - which I expected to be really good - was really bad. It would seem that singing for one's supper has turned into more of a handout.

Immigration sucks. Visitors sign a waiver of the right to sue anyone involved in the security process and it shows. I understand that I am required to be well screened (as is everyone) but a modicum of civility from those in charge of that process would be ... well ... comforting. And my experienced was shared by many people I encountered.

The food was not nearly as good as I had expected. Simple, light Asian anybody? But this might have been more about where I was located.

The US does not seem to have more fat people than Australia, but it does seem to have more fat, fat, fat, fat people.

Australian's and Americans share the same humour. This is refreshing for me because I think I am quite amusing and I got a good laugh over there. Here in the UK, I am running at about 50:50; I am very hit and miss (the one who cannot be named should know what I am on about). Maybe I am just not as funny as I think I am ...

Australian business / media is heading further and further down the American model. I am not comfortable with this. Commerce over there is too 'in your face' and all prevailing. Then again, I do like the late night shopping everywhere, everynight.

Finally, MB asked me if my experience had put me off the US as a holiday destination. WHile I will give it aother crack as a tourist, perhaps in NY, Boston or Seattle, I must answer tentatively, yes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home