Paul and Mel's UK

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Confessions of a hypocritical commuter

Okay, so I posted this very large blog about my gripe on the tube. Remember the stinking armpits, gross woman picking her nose and eating it and a rolling drunk guy who wreaked of alcohol who was "rolling" on to me each time the train lurched.

Well ... forgive me www audience, for I have sinned;

I had a fabulous night out in fabulous Soho on Tuesday evening with my friend Mark (G-Roov as he's affectionately known) and the newly-wed Sue who I used to work with 8 years ago in Sydney who I haven't seen in 8 years. Sue and her new husband Trevor had just returned from their honeymoon and wanted to meet up with Mark in the West End for a couple of drinks and dinner. So Mark invited me along, knowing I would jump at the chance of seeing Sue again.

We went to Soho House for a few drinks and then dinner, which was excellent. I even introduced my old friends and new friend to a couple of new naughty sayings (apparently having a "b, c and s" is unheard of over here). I got to choose the wine, which I can proudly say that my choice of Spanish, South African, Argentinian, Chilean and Italian wines is getting much much better. At first, when arriving it was quite a challenge, but with dinner I managed to choose an excellent Spanish Rioja Tempranillo that everyone enjoyed ... so much so that we had two bottles of the stuff.

I wouldn't say that I was drunk - it's SO not my style to ever admit to being drunk! But after a white wine spritzer (lemonade, not soda water), three glasses of red and a shot of black Sambucca I was merry.

At the end of the night I jumped on the tube to go home. It was about 11pm. When I got on the District Line at Victoria Station the only seat available was opposite two guys and next to one guy. Needless to say, many a look went my way.

It was a little chilly on the train so I got my pashmina out of my bag so I could wrap it around my shoulders. As I did - moving forward on my seat in the process - the train lurched a little and guess what I did ... ROLLED ONTO THE GUY NEXT TO ME!

So guess what this guy's next blog entry would be? Whinging about some rolling drunk chick on the train next to him who rolled into his lap when the train lurched.

How very embarrassing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home