Paul and Mel's UK

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Earth calling ... us!

Right ... I have been holding off long enough. Skype allows you to use your computer to talk to another computer user anywhere in the world for free.

I have been keeping an eye on Skype for some time. I figured it was no different than MSN messenger. But I want to talk and this product is geared around talking over the internet. And contrary to what I thought, you don't need broadband to use it (or so the Skype site says). So why not download it and see if we can talk. You need three things
  1. A computer. Most machines under three years old should be ok. And Skype runs under Windows, Linux and OSX.
  2. Microphone and speakers connected to you computer and working. If you already have these you should be able to utilise them ... though this might cause an echo problem. If you don't (pay attention NK) then the easiest option is to get your hands on a USB headset (for ease of use and compatability, this USB bit is imporant ... and it should be what is called 'plug-and-play'). An example is the Logitech® Premium Stereo Headset but I think these are quite expensive at about $50 AUD (have seen them on ebay for $20AUD). I reckon you would some Plantronic or other dodgier brands in the shops for about $20AUD. Email me if you need some advice, but make sure you do your own research before taking the plunge. Why not go into Dick Smith or the like and ask the guys there a couple of questions (not that I am recommending DSE, but some of the guy who work there are still enthusiasts ... if you get lucky).
  3. The Skype software. Click here to go the site. Download Version 1.4, NOT 2.0(2.0 is still being tested). It is about 7Mb, so on dial-up it will take about 1/2 hour (what the hell are you still doing on dial-up!).
The downsides of this are that you re loading yet another bit of software on your computer and I have read that it can take up a bit more of your memory than is ideal. No big issues here.

Follow the instructions during the install (it is straight forward) when it asks you to add new contacts, type in my full name and you will be given the option of adding me to your contact list.

OK then, I hope a couple of you take up the challenge because we want to talk to you more often.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home